Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Last year during the summer, I decided that our house needed some changes. So I painted the walls in almost every room, even put down new carpet in some rooms.

This summer, I decided that we needed to spruce up the outside. When Grandma was alive, she had flowers everywhere in the yard. I wasn't usually able to help with any kind of gardening because of my allergies. When I was able to help, Grandma always told me that I had a brown thumb and she didn't want me to help. haha She had such a green thumb that it was ridiculous. I'll try to find some pictures of her flower garden to post sometime.

Anyway, this year I redid Grandma's flower garden. Here are pictures from when it was all first planted.

The hanging basket was SO pretty I couldn't resist it! I also spruced up the front porch with some new furniture! Well, I picked it out & Mom paid for it.

These flowers are in a "separator". It was originally used to separate cream from the milk after the cows were milked here on at our family's farm. My mom has many fond memories of those days!

These pansies are in Grandma's iron kettle.  She used this for making apple butter and stew, rendering lard and boiling water for laundry. Yep, my family's country alright. My mom can even remember Grandma using this kettle in her childhood.

This is Grandma's clematis around the wagon wheel. And yes, I just found out the wagon was actually used by my grandparents. I didn't realize they lived that long ago, but apparently they really did use a horse and wagon.


Yep, it's official. You can call us "Little White House on the Prairie".

No comments: