Thursday, February 18, 2016

He Knows Your Name!

I attended a funeral today.  Since my dad wasn't raise by his birth parents, it's always a little tricky trying to explain relation to certain family members.  Today was the funeral, or rather celebration of life, of Dad's oldest "cousin-brother's" wife, or sister-in-law as Dad always viewed her.  (Dad was raised by his uncle & aunt, therefore the term "cousin-brother".)

Juanita was one of the kindest, gentlest, most joyful souls you could ever meet.  I don't think there was a single time in all of my 36 years of knowing her that when I saw her she didn't 1) give me a hug 2) compliment me & 3) smile.  These 3 things were true even when her husband passed away, then when her youngest son passed and a few months ago when her oldest son passed.  And though I saw her shed tears, I also saw her smile and heard her thank the Lord for being good.

Her daughter told me today how the night her Mom passed away progressed.  She was having some trouble breathing but didn't want her daughter to call the ambulance.  Eventually, around 3 in the morning, she was breathing a little easier.  She'd asked her daughter earlier to write something down for her, it was something to the extent of "I am at peace with my Lord Jesus".  Well, a little after 3 she asked her daughter if she'd heard someone say her name.  The daughter hadn't, but told her mom that if it was God calling her home, she should go be with Him.  A few minutes later, she said she heard her name again.  Her daughter said she took a couple more breaths, then her face just became so peaceful as she drifted.  And in that moment, Juanita stood before the Lord, seeing Him face to face.

I have no doubt that Juanita was hearing the Lord call her name...it was time for her to come home.  Jesus said in John 10:4 "I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own."  He knows your need, He knows your heart, He know YOUR NAME.  Oh, beloved, how precious is that?!  And oh, how sweet of a gift God gave her daughter...to know that her mom was hearing Him call her home, by name!!

In this life we will have sorrows, we will miss those who go on before us...but if we are His, we don't mourn like those who have no hope!  We know that one day He will call us home for eternity.  And you'll know when He's calling you, because He knows your name!!

No comments: